Sunday, April 17, 2005

His name is Willy Porter


Willy Porter reminds me of a very quiet long drive in a wide country under the clear sky and warm sun light. I think both Angie and I were attracted by his guitar after we were walking around searching for free plants. We were running out of luck. The Sierra Club had given away the plants in the first couple of hours. O, well.

We sat down on the grass and finally just surrendered and lying on it too, just like hundreds other people around the stage.

The last song he sang was a deconstruction of Mr. Rogers' theme Won't You be My Neighbor. I usually opposed to deconstruction of an original version, but this time, his guitar playing was magically transformed me and the other hundreds people lying on the green grass of Sawyer Point just listen to his new tunes.


The style of the stage was a tend that shaped such as the one on a sailing boat. I just wished they use the stage more often.


I was trying to figure out what made people came out. What is the recipe of a good place?

Living down here, I know enough that this place is not a place when there is no event; and an event like this is not held often enough, I think.

The first ingredient is probably food. Food always attracted people, regardless if they have to pay for it. Second, could be a good weather. In a couple of weeks after winter was over, I thought most people will not waste such a sunny day like this. Third, spaces that create gathering places are everywhere. The Sawyer Point is a well designed park, although the connection with the Ohio River has lost. The Ohio River has a bad habit of flowing water around when it is full, so that's probably why Sawyer Point was designed higher. But, there should be away to connect people to water or at least to give a feeling that we are on the riverfront. The last, which is not important for me, is parking. Who in the world needs parking when we can walk?

Then why not hold as many events as they can? Make everyday an earth day. Or celebrate Mother's Day there, or father's day, or just a Sun Day...