Friday, June 02, 2006

On CandaceBushnell

No, I didn't subscribe to the Women Smart Talk series. It's another thing that I won't do! But a friend of mine had a free ticket to offer and my Thursday night was gonna be just about writing, so I took a chance of listening to another writer, who happened to have only one common thing with me: we both love New York City. Other than that, nothing else popped up that I could think off.

She came in late, with a very cute suit and a pair of shiny shoes. I thought she was drunk and she did have a glass of chardonay on ice (she announced it out loud). CandaceBushnell is the writer of Sex and the City, a show that became a huge draw, both critic and attention, run about six seasons in prime time television, and is on re-run. She talked about nothing but her life and how she ended up writing Sex and the City. Being a writer is not easy, and it takes awhile until she got the script to her "success". She moved to NYC when she was 19 years old and was on her way when she was about 32.

Out of the context of Christianity (sex before marriage and the whole "single life" thing), I agree that how you finish the small task determine how you will finish the big one. I also agree that persistence is important. But I do believe, that motivation is a fundamental thing in life, which, in my case, I had found one.

Her definition of single life is completely different than mine. And her definition of "feminism" is out of my radar. I grew up with a working mother, very dominant in our family. Although I knew that I had enough attention growing up, I knew something was missing. My mother did the best she could, and as long as I remember, there was no single time when she was thinking about herself. She always puts the children as a priority in her life. But, I don't think I could handle that if God give me children. Being a feminist to me is being a woman God wants me to be; serving the purpose that He had set from the beginning of creation. It's not to take over the world, or to conquer the world of male, or to "prove" that I am strong, because there is nothing to prove when you're a woman.

That whole thing about feminism sounds like insecurities to me. I don't need approval from men that we are equal. We're simply equal. The bible said so. There were many judges in the old testament who were women. Ruth, was an example of a strong woman character that God used to prepare for the birth of Jesus; David was her descendent. And, man and woman are supposed to work together, not to compete with each other.

Sex and the City, she said, was a new concept of feminism that shows how women lived in the 1990s. So sad (in my opinion). If women are all only thinking about shoes today, I knew that the whole world will fall apart!! Thank God they're not. Thank God not all women hold a standard of CarrieBradshaw!

Did I watch the show? Yes. For a glance of New York, hoping to see more and more of its life. Remember What is Man, by Mark Twain? The essay reminded me that what we saw, what we read, influence our mind and determine who we are. But I saw SATC because I want to be able to hold a conversation and relate with other girls, while at the same time, not to mix up my mind about what is right and what we're supposed to do in life. We knew what the world is, and we (obviously) knew what is better for us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Russell Smith said...

Great post, Dyah -- thoughtful and insightful. I think Candace's view of "liberation" is pretty shallow too. (but is sure sounds a lot better having that critique come from a woman!)

Russell

4:39 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home